Today, I’m really excited to share my first ever recipe post on namasteandcake.com! Over time I’ll be adding more and more, and they’ll all fall within my healthy eating philosophy. I believe that a truly healthy diet, for most of us, is one which incorporates lots of fresh unprocessed foods, but also includes treats and food which we can buy and make quickly and easily. And when I say a recipe is ‘quick and easy’, I mean just that. I do not mean ‘quick and easy so long as you’ve prepared and chopped all of your ingredients into a dozen little bowls, and neatly lined them up ready to go’. Which is what many ‘quick and easy’ recipes seem to mean!
I don’t buy into traditional diets, because I spent years on and off diets myself, before finally reaching the conclusion that they don’t work and tend to send you a little crazy. I think that when we need to lose weight, the best way to do it is to listen to what our bodies need and feed them accordingly. I know that’s sometimes easier said than done, but it’s a much better route to go than starving yourself silly then hoovering up the contents of the fridge when your body can’t take it anymore!
So, without further ado, let’s get started with my first quick, easy, healthy and delicious recipe…
Quorn Rainbow Chilli
This Quorn Rainbow Chilli is a deliciously satisfying and more-ish dish, which is popular with adults and kids alike. It’s also perfect for batch cooking and freezing, or saving until the next day – for some reason dishes like this seem to taste even better when you leave them a while to infuse!
Nutritionally, this is a really well rounded meal – you’ve got tons of fresh veggies in there, so high levels of vitamins and fibre, and you’ve got plenty of protein in the kidney beans and mince (I choose to use Quorn mince, but you could adapt the method and use beef or turkey mince if you prefer). To add some carbs into the mix, just serve it up with some wholegrain rice. I also like to add some sliced avocado on the side for an added nutrient boost – yum!
I initially got this recipe from the Quorn website, then adapted it to get it just how I like it. The ingredients and instructions are all shown below – I’d love to know what you think and whether you enjoyed this, so please let me know in the comments!
Quorn Rainbow Chilli Ingredients
- 11 oz / 300g Quorn Mince
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped (and/or yellow pepper)
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 zucchini
- 1 red chilli, diced (optional, or use more if you like it spicy!)
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Standard size tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups / 500ml tomato passata
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- Standard size tin of kidney beans
- 1 tsp brown sugar or 1 small cube plain chocolate
- Heat up your oil in a large frying pan or wok, and cook your onions through for about 5 minutes. Then add your carrots and red pepper for another 5 minutes. Next pop in your red chilli, zucchini, garlic, and paprika for another two minutes, stirring the whole time.
- Stir in the tomatoes, passata, tomato puree, and crumble the stock cube in. Simmer it all for around 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add in your kidney beans, sugar or chocolate, and Quorn mince. Cook over a gentle heat for another 10 minutes.
- Season to taste. You can also try adding some chopped coriander.
Enjoyed this post on how to make a delicious and simple Quorn Rainbow Chilli? Why not save it for later on Pinterest…